Sue Doe and Lisa Langstraat moderated student-veteran panels in support of Veterans Week, November 7-11. Lisa moderated a panel on diversity and the military, and Sue moderated a panel in which veterans told their stories of military service. In recognition of Veteran’s Day (Friday, November 11) Lisa and Sue wish to recognize several of the veterans who participated in these panels:
- Jonathon Wedemeyer, U.S.Army, whose four deployments included two tours each to Iraq and Afghanistan. Jon is a construction management major.
- Christopher Kline, U.S. Marine Corps, deployed three times to Iraq; Christopher is a senior history major who plans to teach high school history.
- Justin Smith, Army National Guard, who was deployed once to Iraq and once to AFRICOM. Justin is a history major. Justin’s parents traveled from Kodiak, Alaska to be present at the panel.
- Philip Jones, U.S. Marine Corps, who was deployed twice to Iraq and is an international relations and economics major.
- Special guest Ben Scott, a graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill, who enlisted upon graduation and served in Iraq and Afghanistan until he was medically retired. Present in the audience was Ben’s dad, who traveled from North Carolina with him.
- Claudia Hernandez, Army, who was a medic deployed in Afghanistan who is currently a Spanish major and plans to become an MD.
- Ben C. Hersch, Army, an environmental health specialist deployed to Afghanistan who is planning to study entomology.